Friday, November 13, 2009

Third time's a charm

New Years Eve, 2008... we were invited to David and Amy Bourquin's party. I took a pregnancy test that afternoon and it was negative. I was disappointed, but for some reason not really surprised. I'm not sure why, but I had this uneasy feeling that I was going to have trouble getting pregnant. I think it's because I am the type who likes to prepare myself for the worst. This must be some kind of self-defense strategy that I have developed over the years. I can tell you it's not a good thing because it causes me a lot of unnecessary anxiety. But it's not always a bad thing... I'm rarely ever caught by surprise. At least not by things unpleasant. Anyway, Cody and I went to David and Amy's and had a grand old time. I had kind of made up my mind that I was not going to drink much for awhile (not that I'm a huge drinker, but I like to indulge in a few cocktails here and there), and this was going to be my last hoorah. After all, I WAS trying to get pregnant.

Fast forward to January 2nd, 2009. I shoot my friend Amy a call to see what her and David are doing that evening. Amy tells me they're going to go eat sushi with some of David's work peeps. I don't know how, but somehow it was decided that Amy would can the babysitter, I would watch her 3 boys, and then the 4 of us would hang out when she and David got back. I went home and decided to take one more pregnancy test. I was not yet late for my period, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't pregnant in case I wanted a glass of wine later.

So I go home and I take the test. I didn't have the light on in the bathroom, so the only light was that coming through the window. Immediately the control line showed up, but nothing else. My heart sank, as this was how all of the other tests had turned out. However, the directions say to read the test in 3 minutes. So I sat there for a couple of minutes. I remember staring at the little window so hard that I thought I saw something developing. I looked away... to kind of clean my visual palate... and then looked back. And again I thought I saw something. So I got up and turned on the light and started looking at that test from every different angle possible. Sure enough! It was positive!! It's funny how you rarely ever react to a situation the way you envision it in your head. I thought I would get all weepy. I thought I would wait patiently for Cody to come home so I could show him with soft, misty, eyes that we were pregnant. You know... like in the movies. Not so. Instead I got really shaky. You know that rush of adrenaline feeling that makes you tremble a little. That's how I felt. I paced the bathroom nervously for a few minutes... eyes wide, a grin slowly spreading across my face. I had this precious moment... where the secret was all mine. But just for a moment. Then I called Cody, and this was our conversation:

Exact words
Me: (barely able to contain my excitement) Hey... um... I think I'm pregnant
Cody: (bored, ambivalent, and distracted) why?
Me: Because I have a positive pregnancy test
Cody: (again... bored, etc) really?

I don't remember exactly what was said next, but it went something like this:
Me: Yeah. It's really really faint, but it's positive!
Cody: How faint is it? Maybe it's a false positive.
Me: Very faint, but false positives are extremely rare. I'm gonna go get some more tests anyway.
Cody: Do we really need to spend the money on that?
Me: Yes damnit! I gotta go, but don't tell anyone yet. I want to wait awhile
Cody: Love you, bye.

And then I got off the phone, and within a matter of minutes decided there were just a couple of people I wanted to tell. So I called (in no particular order other than my mom being first) my mom, my cousin Charity, my friend Melissa, and Amy.

And that was that! I promptly went out and bought a 3 pack of tests. I took another one right away. Still positive. Then another the next day. Slightly more positive. And another that Monday. Even more positive.

By God!! I was pregnant!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment